WHAT ARE THE BEST SPICES FOR AIP DIET?
The spices are the best way to add a pop of flavor to any dish. Any food is just bland without spice. Herbs and spices make food tastier and appetizing. Do you have a doubt that, are spices paleo? Yes, spices are AIP/ paleo friendly and are natural ways to infuse nice aroma and flavor to meals without adding any processed condiments.
Research shows that they are rich in healthy compounds that fight inflammation and reduce cell damage. These healthy compounds work together with your food to provide health benefits. While on the autoimmune protocol diet, it could be somewhat tricky to pick up the right and perfect spices. Some of the spices are safe to eat and some of them are to be avoided during the strict elimination phase of the AIP.
Most of the spices come from the seeds of plants and some are even from the nightshade family. The spices that are derived from the leaves of fragrant plants are usually safe to use in cooking while the rather are restricted in AIP diet.
There are many options for spices that are allowed to eat in your diet plan that make it more flavorful.
AIP friendly spices:
The non-seed spices are allowed on the AIP diet plan. Herbs include basil, oregano and mint are also allowed. Other AIP friendly spices are mentioned below:
- Bay leaves
- Dill weed
- Onion powder
Spices to be avoided in the autoimmune protocol diet:
- Seed based spices: Anise, Annatto, Caraway, Cumin, Celery Seed, Coriander, Cumin, Dill Seed, Fennel Seed, Fenugreek, Mustard Seed, Nutmeg, Poppy Seed and Sesame.
- Nightshade Based Spices: Capsicums Seed, Chili Pepper, Paprika and Red Pepper.
- Fruit based spices: Allspice, Cardamom, Juniper Berry, White Pepper, Pink Peppercorns and Vanilla Bean.
Best ways to add spices to your AIP diet plan:
- These AIP spices or seasonings can be used in a variety of ways to help make this regimen easier to follow.
- Make use of the spices as rubs on meat and fish
- You can sprinkle on steamed or stir fried vegetables.
- Even, you can add seasonings like bay leaves, salt and garlic to bone broth as a base for meat and vegetables for a flavorful soup creation.
- Also, you can use coconut cream as a way to thicken soups and sauces for your favorite recipes.
- Finally, use dill weed that can add a bit of flavor to your fish recipes.
This list is sure to help you embark on the autoimmune protocol.
Make every meal healthy and see it work for you!!