TOP 5 AIP FRIENDLY PREBIOTIC FOODS TO EAT EVERYDAY
Prebiotics and Probiotics have gained a lot of importance in the last decade. We all know that probiotics are the beneficial bacteria that reside in our gut and play a key role in various physiological functions such as strengthening the immune system, maintaining the brain and gut axis, and more. However, these beneficial bacteria can survive only when you supply your body with a good amount of prebiotics, the food for your gut bacteria. Without prebiotics, you cannot create a healthy environment for the microbiome of your gut. So, having prebiotics in your diet is essential to maintain overall health. Scientists are discovering new facts about how prebiotics work on the digestive system which has put even more emphasis on gut health.
You can improve your overall gut health by providing ample prebiotics to your daily diet. Let’s dive into what prebiotics are first.
What Are Prebiotics?
Prebiotics are a type of plant fiber that aren’t digested by your body but can serve as food for healthy bacteria living in your gastrointestinal tract. Not all plant fibers qualify as prebiotics. Only certain types like inulin, Fructooligosaccharides, and galactooligosaccharides fall under prebiotics. Studies suggest that incorporating the recommended amount of dietary fiber in your daily diet will ensure that you are getting enough prebiotics every day.
How are prebiotics beneficial to your body?
Prebiotics help us in some of the following ways:
- Maintain a healthy gut and digestive system
- Strengthen the immune system
- Reduce the risk of the onset of autoimmune diseases
- Maintain Bone Health
- Balances metabolism
- Maintains brain and gut axis
- Helps weight management
Here are the top five AIP friendly prebiotic foods to eat every day for a healthy gut
- Bananas : Binge on bananas that are not fully ripe. Just add banana to your favorite coconut yogurt or simply blend it with honey into your morning smoothie.
- Onions : Onions are an excellent source of antioxidants, flavonoids, and prebiotics. Add them to your favorite soups, main dishes, or salads.
- Garlic : Garlic is an herb known for its potent microbial properties. Research has shown that sulfur compounds in garlic are shown to have anti-cancer effects when eaten as a prebiotic food.
- Apples : Apples are an excellent source of antioxidants, polyphenols, and pectin that aid in digestion, metabolism and also reduce the levels of LDL cholesterol. Studies show that eating an apple every day can reduce the risk of colorectal cancer, which is more prevalent in elderly people.
- Asparagus: Asparagus is one of the best vegetables known for its prebiotic components as it is rich in prebiotic fiber and antioxidants. It helps promote healthy gut bacteria and may help prevent certain cancers.
Apart from the above, Jerusalem artichoke, chicory root, leeks, dandelion greens, Jicama root are some of the AIP-friendly foods that you can add to your AIP diet to fully reap the benefits of. Additionally, you can also consider adding autoimmune disease supplements to provide your body with added nutrition. The Paleo Perfection Protein powder available at Autoimmune Health & Nutrition store is a rich source of protein, healthy fats, minerals, and also healthy prebiotics such as organic apple fiber and organic extracts of other veggies such as beetroot, carrot, broccoli, and kale. Add it to your daily AIP diet and gain additional health benefits.