TOP 10 TIPS TO HEAL AN AUTOIMMUNE DISEASE NATURALLY
Autoimmune disease is an invisible epidemic that affects almost every individual at one point in his or her lifetime. According to the American Autoimmune Related Disease Association, the number of people suffering from autoimmune diseases is 24-50 million American which is 16% of the total US population. This alarming number shows that autoimmunity affects more people than heart disease and cancer combined. More than 80-100 diseases are listed under the autoimmunity category, out of which many are very rare. These diseases are grouped by body systems like digestive, joint, or metabolic diseases which are mostly chronic conditions caused by vital organs not functioning properly.
Most Autoimmune patients look fine superficially, however, they suffer from significant morbidity, loss of productivity and debilitating physical emotional and financial stress. While many autoimmune diseases can be treated with strong immunosuppressant drugs that hinder the diseases’ progression, these procedures can be associated with long term side effects. Autoimmune disease occurs as a result of autoimmunity. Autoimmunity is an immune response or systemic inflammation that occurs when the body starts attacking its own healthy tissues.
There are several factors including allergens, environmental toxins, an inflammatory diet, stress and genetic factors causing an autoimmune response. We need to identify the factors and try to correct the imbalances with a holistic approach to reduce symptoms and heal from autoimmune diseases naturally. The good news is that our bodies are resilient. Stimulating the body’s self-healing mechanism is very important especially with autoimmune diseases. Done correctly, we can heal from this debilitating disease and look vibrant and healthy.
Here are the top 10 tips to heal from an autoimmune disease naturally:
- Optimize your diet. Diet plays a major role in repairing your body faster and better. Include foods that are free of gluten, high in sugar, salt, additives, preservatives and artificial flavors which could cause a negative response on your health.
- Healing your gut is the center where most of the immunity begins. To ensure your center is as healthy as possible consume fermented foods like coconut milk yogurt, sauerkraut, or kefir to help improve gut health.
- Avoid an inflammatory diet that includes refined carbs, fried foods, sugary drinks and beverages, and high fatty foods
- Avoid gluten as it can induce intolerance in some autoimmune responses.
- Detox your liver on a regular basis. Toxin build-up can flare up autoimmunity. A bowl of fresh colorful salad that includes green leafy veggies like kale, spinach, or broccoli is a great start. Finish it off with a cup of fresh fruits of your choice.
- Improve your glutathione levels. Glutathione is a powerful antioxidant that our body synthesizes to detox our bodies naturally. So add in plenty of sulfur-rich veggies like kale, cabbage, broccoli, and cauliflower to help in methylation (a biochemical pathway that produces glutathione naturally).
- Learn to manage stress. Stress is one of the culprits behind aggravation of autoimmunity levels in an individual. In most of the cases, the onset of autoimmune disease in many patients took place during a stressful period of life. Regular practice of meditation, yoga or any recreational activity can help you combat stress and improve your quality of life.
- Drink filtered water that is free of pollutants and heavy metals such as mercury, arsenic, lead, pesticides, and other contaminants.
- Check for infections periodically. Studies reveal that a number of viral and bacterial infections can trigger autoimmunity (For example: Epstein Barr virus, Herpes simplex virus, E.Coli etc.). With most infections you can wait a day or two but if you still haven’t seen any improvement go see your healthcare provider immediately.
- Exercising regularly while consuming a good diet can definitely show good results in your journey towards healing. Regular exercise energizes the body and it is one of the most powerful weapons to treat inflammation in the body. You also get a good night's sleep when you exercise regularly. Your mind and body are able to calm down and the brain can focus on what is needed during sleep.
There is so much we can do naturally to heal from autoimmune diseases. The tips above can help regain your health and spring back to healthy living. All we need to do is stay consistent and be patient for the results.