THE IMPORTANCE OF HYDRATION WHILE ON PALEO DIET
The human body is made up of 75% water. Water is obviously a prerequisite for life to continue on Earth. Without water, life does not exist. While our bodies are largely made of water, it is essential that we continue drinking water to survive. Drinking water keeps our bodies well hydrated and healthy.
Hydration is crucial to carry out various physiological activities such as regulation of body temperature, prevention of infections, lubrication of joints, delivering nutrients to cells, and to keeping organs functioning properly. Being well-hydrated also helps our quality of sleep, improves cognition and mood. In order to maintain daily life functions, we must keep up with proper hydration. Grab yourself glass of water and get cozy, because here are some wonderful benefits of staying hydrated.
Keeps muscles and joints healthy
Adequate water intake helps keep your joints well lubricated and prevents gout attacks. The synovial fluid which lubricates joints is primarily made up of water. When you don’t get enough water, it pulls off water from cartilage and nearby tissues- wreaking havoc on your joints. This is why orthopedic doctors suggests that we drink water throughout the day. The more water you drink, the better your muscles and joints work during physical activity.
Improves brain function
Experts say that adequate hydration plays a crucial role in how well the brain functions. Studies show that even very mild dehydration, ranging from 1%-3% water loss, causes issues such as headaches, fatigue, mood, concentration, memory, anxiety, and overall brain performance for people of all age groups. Everyday activities can cause water loss, so it is advised that you start your day with eight to 12 ounces of water.
Detoxifies your body
Every day, we ingest toxins from food, air, and other environmental contaminants. This toxic build-up causes physical imbalances and fatigue. Drinking water keeps organs, like kidneys, active in filtering out the waste from your blood. The more you hydrate, the more toxins your body releases inside and out and you feel energized and active all day long.
Hydration Helps Treat ailments
Staying hydrated is very crucial in treating many different ailments and illnesses. When you are sick, your doctor advises adequate oral rehydration. It is because your body is working hard to fight off viruses or bacteria that invade your body, so drinking enough liquids can help you recover faster. Common health issues that hydration helps resolve include headaches, seizures kidney stones, colds, flus, and gastrointestinal infections.
Tips on staying hydrated
1. Staying well hydrated is easy. Your first step to hydration starts with drinking at least 10-13 cups of water throughout the day.
2. While exercising, it is recommended that you drink 8 ounces of water every 15 minutes and 16 to 24 ounces after exercise
3. Fresh fruits and vegetables are excellent in water content, electrolytes, and essential nutrients. It is ideal that you eat a good portion of them daily.
4. A good rule of thumb is that you should intake about one to three cups of fruits and vegetables a day.
5. Fresh fruit protein smoothies are also a great way to rehydrate and energize your body and keep you active all day long
6. Increase your water intake with foods high in water such as watermelon, strawberries, star fruit, cantaloupe, cucumber, tomatoes, green peppers, cauliflower, and iceberg lettuce.
Common Signs of Dehydration
- Thirst is a common sign of dehydration.
- When your body is dehydrated you pass yellow urine and go less frequently
- Dry mouth
- Lightheadedness or feeling dizzy
These are some of the most common signs of dehydration and would indicate you need to drink more water.
Closing Paragraph : It is equally important for people on Paleo /AIP diets to stay well hydrated and improve autoimmune conditions. Providing your body with optimal nutrition and good hydration is the key to good health. At Autoimmune Health & Nutrition, you get the best quality paleo diet supplements that you can add to plain water, morning coffee, or your favorite fruit smoothie.